Floweers for Algernon
My youngest just left a plume of cologne behind as he left the house for his last day of high school. Graduation is on Thursday. I’m so very proud of him.
And his tattoo.
I’m doing better today. After learning some possibly devastating family news (that I won’t go into in my blog) at the end of last week, my feet were knocked out from beneath me. I really thought it would be wonderful to mentally check out from this world. But the following people would not let me:
1. The Big Nugget, who has way of just hanging in there. Making no sudden movements.
2. My little brother, who, knowing I was sick, picked me up and took me to my favorite used book store with the invitation of “we’ll leave the minute you need to leave.” I lasted almost 10 minutes. And then he took me to his house where it was a hubbub of family activity. Just what I needed to keep from falling apart.
3. My little sis-in-law who continues to nurture me through this hell.
4. My sister who always seems to cry harder than I do, making me realize that I must not be too bad if I’m not crying that hard. And also? The food!
5. Barb and Eric (The Floweers) who came over on Sunday night with pizzas and a truck full of flowers. They filled every one of my empty pots and helped patch my broken heart. (pictures later)
Bloomington Garden Center, for all your Floweer needs!!!
6. Judy Beauty who continues to offer invitation after invitation for shopping and adventure – and is willing to drive from one end of the Twin Cities to the other.
7. Best high school friend, Tammy, who keeps calling and calling at the right time.
8. Sandy and Stephanie and rainbow unicorns and lucky coins without cigarette butts.
9. So many more of you, but I really had to give special numbers to these special people because I was as low as low can be (until the next lower comes along, I have lost my faith that things can’t get worse) and they helped lift me back up and put me on my wobbly feet.
Getting out the duct tape to hold myself together,
p.s. If you want to know what my friend, Floweer looks like, check this family portrait out:
(That’s Floweer in the center, front. Isn’t she cute? I don’t hang around with not cute people, people!)